Thursday 24 April 2014

Interview - Ryan Howe: King of the Ring



If you're a fan of reality television and professional wrestling, you've probably come across Ryan Howe. The blond stunner was a contestant on WWE's Tough Enough and has wrestled on OVW TV and TNA Impact Wrestling. As you'll find out, he's a man of many talents. Not only being skilled in the ring, he's a talented musician as well. In this interview we'll also go over what his experience was like on Tough Enough, how he got his start in wrestling, what it's like being a sex symbol and if we'll hear new music from him. We've got a feeling that you're going to be seeing a whole lot more of Ryan on TV this year, so hopefully if you aren't familiar with him now, you'll become a fan after reading this interview.


1. When did you first become a wrestling fan? What wrestlers did you admire before getting into the business?

Ryan: Always loved wrestling since as far back as I can remember. Aside from music being a huge influence, my childhood was spent as one wild child wrestling everyone and thing in sight. I once took down a goat at the petting zoo...he never saw it coming! Influences were Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, and Hulk Hogan. Later on Shawn Michaels became a pretty big influence on me.

2. How did you get your start in wrestling?

Ryan: I was traveling a lot playing music in 2008 and met some independent wrestlers at a show we were playing one night. As usual, by the end of the set I was playing my Les Paul with leather pants and no shirt, dripping sweat, and when I came off stage they approached me and said I definitely had a "look" and should consider wrestling. Since pre-school I've wanted to be a pro musician or pro wrestler...because I'm responsible like that. I jokingly responded, "can I bring my guitar", AND I DID! Living the best of both worlds and couldn't be happier doing it. There is only 1 me and I get to show the world that everyday.

Check out more of the interview (and more great pics) after the break!








3. You appeared on the 2011 revival of WWE Tough Enough. How did that come about? Were you familiar with the past seasons of the show?

Ryan: 2011 Tough Enough was a once-in-a-lifetime, unforgettable experience. I'd heard a bit of buzz about the show being started back up and before I could look into it had been contacted online by a casting director for the show. Traveling around the country for several shows a week and hustling for the past couple years definitely got me attention and was starting to pay off. I was pretty familiar with the past seasons of the show but went into the competition expecting noting. WWE is notorious for always changing the game and I knew to expect the unexpected.

4. Do you still keep in touch with any of your Tough Enough cast mates? Are you surprised that Ariane is the only member of the cast to still be with the WWE?

Ryan: I do keep in touch with several of the 14 contestants from Tough Enough. Together we shared an experience that will never be duplicated so whether you like some or not, there is a unique connection we all have. I'm not surprised Ariane is working full time roster for the company. Despite no wrestling experience, she is very talented, charismatic, and pretty, which make her marketable. Granted the other cast members (ESPECIALLY ME!) all have those qualities, but I do realize there are not an unlimited amount of spots available at WWE. I do however believe that there IS a spot for me there and as I keep doing my thing, as no one else can, things will happen. Point blank.



5. Is getting to the WWE still a goal for you?

Ryan: Pretty sure I may have answered this in the previous question, but I KNOW there is only 1 of me that can do what I can do. I prove it each night I wrestle and everyday I wake up, living my life. WWE saw something in me and gave me a shot on Tough Enough. If I continue to push and get better, I will be there no doubt.

6. In 2013, you wrestled on TNA as part of the short lived Gut Check concept. What was that experience like for you?

Ryan: TNA Gut Check was an incredible experience. Very positive, despite the outcome. Unlike Tough Enough, I was no longer treated like a rookie, walking on eggshells hoping to get a shot. THIS time I was looked at as a potential superstar, offering something their roster does not yet have. Basically, TNA let ME be ME, and although no one should ever censor the individual in anyone, sometimes backstage can be intimidating and make you hold back. If I took nothing else from Tough Enough, its that I should NEVER hold back who I am. Gut Check was a chance for me to do that, and it resulted in no regrets for me.



7. What kind of feedback did you receive from the people at TNA following your Gut Check?

Ryan: Overall feedback from Gut Check was very positive and told me to keep doing exactly what I am, and the timing of things will work out. So, back to OVW it is and that's EXACTLY what I've been doing. Not putting down that guitar, that's for damn sure.

8. Unlike a lot of wrestlers that play rock star characters, you are a real musician. What are some of your musical influences? And can we expect to hear about a Ryan Howe album at some point?

Ryan: Kick-Ass Rock 'n' Roll = Musical Influence: AC/DC; Angus Young more specifically. The man is a a showman, talented, and feels every note, every string bend, every kick drum beat; it comes from the heart and whether its music or wresting, that's what makes superstars and legends. When I play guitar on my entrance, I never have planned what to play. I simply feel and listen to the audience. I could do that for hours, but keep in mind have played since 5 years of age. The day I can move and float in the ring for hours on end without a single though crossing my mind, only feeling from the heart, I will know reached an enviable pinnacle in this profession. Every match I get closer and closer, and that tells me I'm doing something right.

Other musical influences: Chuck Berry to Buckcherry... really all the greats, legends: Led Zeppelin, ZZ top, Aerosmith, Cream, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue. All of these artist influenced and innovated rock n roll in unique ways. Together, they have sealed a legacy along with changing the game for ALL music.
Actually just finishing the writing process on songs for a new album. Have recording set to start in June/July and hopefully there will be an album in affect by the end of the year.



9.  One of the big reasons we wanted to interview you is because you are one of the hottest wrestlers around today. How does it feel knowing that people see you as something of a sex symbol? Is it flattering?

Ryan: It is flattering (to say the least) to be considered somewhat of a sex symbol in the public eye and, more specifically, the professional wrestling world. I thank those who keep my name fresh in the world of social media and wrestling, and hopefully this leads to all of you seeing more of me every week on the big stage!

10. What does the future hold for Ryan Howe?

Ryan: Future for Ryan Howe: Superstar.
Keep watching me on Ohio Valley Wrestling and look for me in a city near you. Wrestling and music. Outside of the ring, I'll be working on a full-length studio album. Mean chops on the guitar, meaner chops in the ring.



Random Rapid Fire Questions
1. Guns N' Roses or Motley Crue?
Ryan: Motley Crue

2. You can't leave home without...
Ryan: FOOD! Eating healthy is a full time job. I'd say guitar, but most places I go, I have one there. Even in the office at my gym. #truerockstar

3. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Ryan: Superpower: To be 2 places at once.

4. Dream opponent?
Ryan: Dream opponent: From childhood would be the Hulkster; now, Dolph Ziggler, OR Heath Slater (just to prove to him what a REAL rockstar represents)

5. Hidden talent?
Ryan: I'm one hell of a cook. I will find a way to make ANYTHING healthy.

6. The best thing about being Ryan Howe is...
Ryan: Best thing about being me is: I get to live out not 1, but TWO dreams at once.

7. Boxers or briefs?
Ryan: Equipos.



Many thanks to Ryan Howe for taking part in this interview. You can keep up with him via Twitter: @howe2rock or at his Facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/MrHoweTo.

No comments:

Post a Comment